God is the author, originator and the manufacturer of Marriage. Lets get back to the manual
‘And the Lord said, it is not good that the man should be alone: I will make him an HELP Meet for him’ Gen 2 vs 18 KJV.
Now the Lord God said, It is not good (sufficient, satisfactory) that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper meet (suitable, adapted, complementary) for him.
Genesis 2:18 AMPC
Dictionary.com defines Help as to give or provide what is necessary to accomplish a task or satisfy a need; contribute strength or means to; render assistance to; cooperate effectively with; aid; assist. Synonyms: aid, assist, avail, balm, benefit, comfort, cooperation, nourishment. The word meet means to fulfill or satisfy. To arrange or come into the presence of.
- From the definition, as wife i am to render assistance to fulfill or satisfy my husband.
- To aid him fulfill
- To assist, cooperate , provide what is necessary to accomplish a task or satisfy a need.
Lets look at the words in Amplified version. Suitable means it means appropriate, acceptable or right for someone or something. Adapted means to fit, to undergo modification so as to fit new circumstances, to make suitable. Complementary means to completes or enhances the qualities of something else. Wao !!! This our heavenly father loves us so much that he so empower us ( woman). You can be all these by the help of the Holy Spirit. You just need to acknowledge you cannot do these all alone ask for the help of The Holy Spirit and he will help you. Jesus said
‘Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.’ Revelation 3 vs 20 KJV. With him in your Ship, you can not have a shipwreck .
Are you willing to ask him come into your life, allow him take the lead as you follow ? If yes say a Prayer of repentance and forgiveness of sin. Accept his sacrifice for your sin. Acknowledge your need of Him. Open the door of your heart to Him and ask Him to come and dine you. ‘That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believe unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation’.
Romans 10:9-10 KJV
How can i fit in into this calling? Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord.
Colossians 3:18 KJV
Wives, be subject to your husbands [subordinate and adapt yourselves to them], as is right and fitting and your proper duty in the Lord. Colossians 3:18 AMPC SUBMIT means to accept the control, authority or greater strength of somebody. To yield and agree to. FIT means to make suitable, healthy and attractive. SUBJECT means to be under the authority or dependent on. SUBORDINATE means one who has a position with less authority than someone else. ADAPT means to change your behavior in order to deal more successfully with a new situation. My paraphrase edition for KJV ‘ Wives, accept the authority of your own husband as it is healthy or make suitable in the Lord’. Amplified ‘ Wives, be under the authority of your husbands, dependent on them. ( have a position with less authority than your husband and change your behavior in order to deal successfully with them) as it is right and suitable and your proper duty in the Lord. My dear wife ,to be successful you must note the following from the above verse.
- You must understand that you are a subordinate and he is superior (head). In an organization, there is a boss and assistance before other workers. Simply put in the family, He is the boss, you are his assistance, then the children. You have a lesser authority in the family. You are to make suggestions not insisting he must do what you say.
- You are under his control. He has the final say. You can only achieve this when you do not allow your carreer, certificate or your position to be- cloud you. Everything you are or own come under. You are to put them under you. When all these are under you, you can easily submit yourself to him. But when you still see your carreer first, your position first,and your certificates / achievements first, accepting his authority will be hard.
- You must be able to change your behaviour in order to be more successful in this new position. Before now especially when you have being independent for a while. You live on your own, you go out whenever and wherever you want, you are in control of your act. You don’t take permission from anyone. You may decide not to do any chore. You were in charge. But now things have change. What change? *Someone is in charge. Your husband is in charge. *You must be accountable. To who? Your husband. You can’t leave the house anyhow as you please. He must know your movement. * You must take responsibility. What tesponsibility? His look and your look. It is your duty to make sure he eats well and healthy. You have to take care of him Spirit, Soul and Body. Build yourself up in a way he can talk to you about anything. Know the little you can about his profession. Be interested in his family. You must also take care of yourself. Your looks will make him to desire or not to desire you. Have a healthy eating habit. Eat well and feel good about your self. Be his mistress. Seduce him when necessary. Initiate sex. * Learn the act of mothering. Be a wife to him at the same time his mother especially when the mother is late. Don’t let your mothering overshadow your wifely duty. You are his wife first but when ocassion come for you to mother him, do it in a way he won’t feel disgusted.
We are through dissecting vs 18a. Lets move forward. Vs 18b ..’ as is right and fitting and your proper duty in the Lord’. As it is healthy or make suitable and your proper duty in the Lord. What can make my submitting to my husband not fitting in the Lord?
- When I put my husband first before the Lord. The Lord is my first love. Isaiah 54 : 5. For thy Maker is thine husband; the Lord of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called.
My husband comes after him. The Lord must be acknowledge first in all and everything I do. Let me quickly say this, This portion of the Word of God is addressed or written to the Colossians church. It is address to the congregation of christians. A believer will not play on your submition to him. He wont take the place of God in your life.
- When it is against the will and purpose of God. When it is antagonistic to the word of God.
When I see and respect my husband as the church respect and honour Christ, there will be peace and harmony in the home. In return, he will love me and respect me. He won’t take me for granted because we both are in God and we both want to please God. God called me to submit to him.
Am quite sure you enjoy the ride and have learnt one or two things. Why not put into practise and see God at work in your life and marriage. You might be thinking is it only about wife. Not at all the husband has his own part to fuifill. Verse 19 addresses that……
stay tuned… Shall be back
Additional readings. Ephesians 5 : 22 – 33 . 1Peter 3 : 1 – 7